Monday, September 3, 2007

The "art" of cursing....

It's not so much of an art, but I noticed it has become a starting branch to many other words out there. What is the point to saying, "F__k?" We're not using it in the correct context most of the time. It also doesn't make us seem very professional as we get older. In a way, it really drags us down, demeans our sense of knowledge, wisdom. Basically, it makes us look dumb, typical. I'm not trying to say those who do swear are what I just described. But to me, the "art" of cursing is not one I'd like to practice. If you had not noticed, my picture is the infamous Speak no evil, Hear no evil, See no evil. And that IS what God had instructed us, as Christians, to do.

Last weekend I was corrected by a friend about swearing. I usually try to keep it out of my vocabulary, but every so often the words slip. However, the word that HAD slipped was not one that would seem too bad. "Da_n" was the word. And although I had not thought much of it, it had offended someone. I cannot recall the verse right now, but in the Bible it says that once you have offended someone, you should cease and stop it in their presence. I had gotten so used to saying "da_n," "bas__rd," "as_," I never thought about offending others, better yet, offending God.

So I have started to read the Bible because Jess and Chris [her friend] had inspired me to. I didn't know where to start. Jess told me that James was a really good book, and I recalled Ate Joy saying that James was her favorite book of the Bible. So I read it, and man was I convicted. My loose lips had always gotten me in trouble with my parents. But I never seemed to put God in the picture. I came across the passage of James 3: 9-12,

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

And there it hit me. How can I praise your name, yet say horrible things about other people? The people that you created. How can I, with the same lips, glorify your name, but say ill words just to get my point across? Just so that my saying has greater meaning? No, that isn't for me. I pray and promised to God that I would glorify Him in all I do.

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

I choose not to say words like other people. I can use a different lingo, make my own up. I have changed "Hay Sus," which is saying Jesus' name in vain in another language, to "AY, lava sus manos," which means wash your hands in spanish. I can compensate with my own lingo. And that is just my personal choice. The old words may come out every-so-often, but I pray that it won't.

1 comment:

Selene from E:III said...

me too i like to use "BAKLAVA" of "buddah" or "holy smokes" or "patai"